The Coffee Nebula Board is for the discussion of Star Trek: Voyager and other sci-fi/cult shows. This is its Archive of episode discussions, top ten lists, fan fiction, and other miscellaneous musings.

 

Under Control

Fire!: Under Control
Vickie T. — 2 Oct 1998, 8:47 AM

The sun was just beginning to rise over the mountains to the east as the last of the fires burning at the Delta Q were finally brought under control. Miss Kathryn stood in the courtyard, hands on her hips, and surveyed the damages. Fully half of the Delta Q's outbuildings were in ruins and the main house had both some fire and water damage. They hadn't yet been able to take a full accounting of the livestock, but, sadly, it appeared that they had indeed lost at least a few of the horses. Thank heaven there were no human casualties - aside from the barmaid Seska who had presumably been reduced to ashes along with the Big Barn.

Fortunatly for the tired and hungry firefighters, the Delta Q bunkhouse and crew kitchen were unscathed and Hop-Sing-Neelix, the ranch's head cook and twin brother of the late Deputy Neelix, was hard at work on a hearty breakfast. Miss Kathryn expressed her most heartfelt gratitude to the Voyager City firemen and townspeople who had helped fight the fires and invited them all to have a bite to eat and if they liked, to bed down in the bunkhouse for some rest before they headed back to Voyager City.

As the crowd moved off toward the dining hall, B'Elanna approached Kathryn. "I'm worried about Tom and Pa, Miss Kathryn. Shouldn't they be back by now?"

"No, B'Elanna," Miss Kathryn replied, after pondering the question for a moment or two. "I'm sure that the cattle were quite restless after the midnight roundup and the cowhands wouldn't want to leave the herd unattended. I'm sure Tom and Chakotay, along with the others, simply decided to stay out on the range until they could be sure that the cattle would be okay. Don't worry, they'll be along later this morning. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm headed straight for a bath and some clean clothes."

"Yes," said B'Elanna, "As soon as I make one final check on the horses."

To be continued - I'm almost done, really I am.