The Coffee Nebula Board is for the discussion of Star Trek: Voyager and other sci-fi/cult shows. This is its Archive of episode discussions, top ten lists, fan fiction, and other miscellaneous musings.

 

An Uncrackable Safe Is Like An Unsinkable Ship

An uncrackable safe is like an unsinkable ship. Somewhat unlikely
Jules — 14 Sep 1998, 8:19 AM

"Miss Julie, this is Mr Locarno of the Hirogen Detective Agency. You will recall that I spoke with you yesterday about his coming..."

"Of course, Marshall Tuvok." The manager of the Empire Bank in Voyager City nodded a greeting to the Marshall's companion. "Mr Locarno. I'm sorry that we have to meet in such worrying circumstances. Do you really think that these men will attempt to hit my bank?"

"My Agency thinks it extremely likely." Nick Locarno noted with amusement that Miss Julie's long thick chestnut hair was beginning to escape from its bun, too heavy for its bindings. She was interesting looking rather than pretty, and didn't smile a lot. But she had an air of authority, and he could well believe that she had run the bank capably and well since the death of her father five years earlier. He realised that he wouldn't want to cross her. He hoped he wouldn't have to.

Marshall Tuvok departed to attend to his rounds, and the detective and Miss Julie discussed the bank's security arrangements. "We have a brand new safe," the bank's proprietress said proudly. "It only came in last month. A Brooker 404. They're supposed to be uncrackable."

"They have that reputation," agreed Locarno. "But let's hope that we don't have to put it to the test. It's agreed then, that I will work with you, in your bank, until the race meeting and the festival are over and Voyager City quietens down again? If it meets with your approval, I suggest that you might put me to use as a bank teller."

Miss Julie thought about it for a moment. "That seems sensible," she said at length. "I take it that you know enough about what the job entails that it won't be obvious that you're not an ordinary bank clerk?"

"You'd be surprised at the things a detective has to do," was the amused response. "I can do the job... and I'm a quick study. Rest assured, it won't be a problem.

"And now," he added. "I must find myself a bed for the night, and a meal. You have a place in town called Quark's Bar, I believe? A Miss Megan was telling me about it earlier."

The expression which crossed Miss Julie's face was less than charitable. It had the fleeting appearance of a scowl, although she hid it just as quickly. "Indeed we do. But... if you will excuse me for saying so, Mr Locarno, while Quark's Bar is certainly the place to go if you want to eat well, or to do a little gaming at the tables in the back room... I'd really recommend that if you want to get a good night's sleep you go to Sandrine's Saloon across the street instead."

Locarno tipped his hat. "I'll do that, ma'am. Thank you for your recommendations. Until tomorrow then."